Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: flowers not opening all the way  (Read 18571 times)
topshelf12

« on: July 19, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »

Hello everyone,
Well my buds are not dropping anymore but now the flowers on some varieties like Blue Ballerina and Pocahontas are not opening up fully. Is this a lack of proper nutrition or possibly a pest?
thanks as always
Norm
San Jose California
topshelf12

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »

Update!!
I went out to use my bud blaster and noticed the flowers were open all the way. I never knew that some varieties open at different rates. So everything is well with the world again. Well except I missed Dark of Night again. Darn kids and their swim practice!
Norm
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »

That's good to hear.

You can always help any flower open by gently pressing outward on the petals. However, if you are rushing it and the flower is not ready to finish opening this will make it worse.

Some varieties have this problem in certain conditions. Not much can be done about it unless the problem is a bad thrips infestation. That is fairly rare because thrips will usually cause the buds to rot and fall off before the flowers ever try to open.

Charlie
stplong

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

Charlie,

Hopefully you can give me some advice, I received a stressed plant through the mail today, not one of yours.  It looks really stress, all the leaves are hanging down. I am keeping it inside and spraying the leaves with water , do you think this will help.  I never received a stressed plant before so that is why I am asking.

Thanks, Patrick
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »

Hi Patrick,

If the stress is just heat related it should come back and you are doing the right thing. As long as a hibiscus has wilted/drooping leaves it should be protected away from direct sun and wind. Misting with water is a good idea, and if you have Growth Enhancer (Supernova) adding a half teaspoon to a gallon of water is good for it too. That was the original use of this stuff - heat stress relief for ag crops.

Wilted leaves can be caused by other things though. If the roots were partly torn from the main stem, or if the main stem is broken it will wilt. The worst thing would be Hibiscus wilt disease that they rarely recover from. In this case, knowing the weather, heat stress during shipping seems the most likely. Occasionally you will find hibiscus that are too large for the size of the root ball and need to be cut back and potted up in order restore balance. If not, they will wilt at the slightest stress.

Good luck,

Charlie
blupit007

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »

How about if your blooms are glued together?  I thought my Voodoo Magic just wasn't opening all the way, then upon inspection, I found that they were stuck together at the tips.  It opened when I tore it apart.  What is that all about?

-Kristen
Yashodhara
S.E. Michigan

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »

How about if your blooms are glued together?  I thought my Voodoo Magic just wasn't opening all the way, then upon inspection, I found that they were stuck together at the tips.  It opened when I tore it apart.  What is that all about?

Kristen - I had the same thing happening back in late May and early June: At the time, I attributed it to either a) their not getting enough light, or b) the Kontos dose being too high. I've attached pictures of El Capitolio Orange and Porcelain Doll (two separate instances), where it looks like the buds wanted to open, but their petals were glued together. When I opened the El Cap bud, it was all sticky inside (no bugs, just goo). It's a mystery, as they've had no trouble opening blooms recently.  Huh

* Stuck_El Capitolio.jpg (98.09 KB, 759x845 - viewed 610 times.)

* Stuck_El Capitolio 2.jpg (112.15 KB, 841x741 - viewed 626 times.)

* Stuck_Porcelain Doll.jpg (106.32 KB, 835x725 - viewed 687 times.)

* Stuck_Porcelain Doll 2.jpg (120.17 KB, 775x753 - viewed 630 times.)
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: