Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:21:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumping up everything!  (Read 7868 times)
blupit007

« on: November 24, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »

Hi,

I have a question.  I have some seedlings that have been in a fish tank under shop lights and on a heat mat.  They all have their first set of true leaves.  I just put them in the tank recently due to space issues.  I have the tank set up for cuttings and some grafts, so I needed the humidity.  The seedlings did just fine with out the humidity before I put them in there.  

Question is, I have a big light set up for some of my more established hibiscus and also some of my struggling ones (I have The Path that was such a poor graft that it has grown maybe an inch since I bought it in June from another hibiscus dealer).  There is a 150W & a 400W sun system grow lights in a wooden box.  Would it be a good idea to move the seedlings to this powerful light box?

Thanks,
Kristen  

-Kristen
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »

Yes, move them to the best light available but make sure they do not dry out completely or they could die. You don't want the seedlings to stretch for the light because their one main stem might become too thin and weak if it has to reach for the light. Seedlings are amazing in how tough they are compared to how small and tender they look. They handle high light and heat amazingly well and they will only bloom within a year if they get both for most of that time.

Charlie
blupit007

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »

Oh, thanks Charlie.  I will move them now.  It is true, the tallest one I have right now is prolly 3.5".  The top leaves are getting a bit bigger, and the stem is a bit wobbily...  So since I have a set of true leaves on all of them, I should move them all in?  Even though the true leaves on some are only tiny?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

-Kristen
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »

Kristen, yes, it will be fine to move them all or to be cautious you could move the ones with true leaves now and wait for the others to develop before moving.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, and to one and all.

Charlie
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: