Transitioning from Overwintering Inside to Living Outdoors

(1/4) > >>

Darkhorse:
So I haven't posted much lately because there hasn't been much to say.  All of my plants have lived indoors over the winter, and haven't had any direct sunlight since about December.  Though all the plants stayed green they looked dull, like they were teetering between health and not feeling so well.  It is just now getting warm enough to put the plants outdoors during the day and they've already perked up.  I've developed a protocol, and hopefully I don't kill anybody during the transition. 

This past week I have put all the plants outside for 30 min. a day in direct sunlight, as early in the morning as possible.  They are already exhibiting new growth-- Buttercup and Blue Ballerina are even forming one tiny bud each.  Over the next month or two I will work on getting them acclimated to direct sun again, increasing the amount of sunlight in 30 min. increments.  So, starting tomorrow (if it doesn't rain here, which I'm sure it will) they will go out for an hour in direct sun since it will be the beginning of week 2.  This is also an experiment to see who buds up first and with the smallest amount of sunlight.

One issue I've run into is that although their soil is wet, the plants will wilt when exposed to direct sun at first.  Today I woke up around noon (I know, it's my Saturday today...) and put them out.  It was about 78 degrees and they were wilty within 10 min.  I left them out for almost half and hour and brought them in when I thought they were wilting a little too much. Everybody has perked up since, though. 

I will keep you guys posted on this experience.  Charlie (or anyone) if you have additional thoughts or suggestions please feel free to add.

JL

Charlie:
Hi Jordan, nice to hear your voice again! I haven't had a lot of experience moving plants in and out of the house. Usually they go from greenhouse to house and if they need to go back to greenhouse they can do it without any transition period. That is because the greenhouse has some shade paint on top that removes the worst of direct sunlight. I think you have a good plan in place and suspect that it won't take that long to transition them to more light.

The wilt is a surprise to me. It must have been too much of a change for them to take full mid-daysun and 78F. If you put them out earlier or later it might be easier on them at first.

I like your experiment of seeing which buds up first, let us know!

Charlie

Darkhorse:
Thanks, I've missed posting.  :)

It surprised me too...  the first couple of days I put them out (early, temp was about 70) they wilted a bit in the sun but recovered when I brought them in.  They didn't wilt in the cooler mornings later in the week but of course they did today when they were out later and it was warmer.  My thought on this is since they haven't been doing much growing or as much photosynthesizing, they haven't been taking up much water.  Now they're out and growing; more photosynthesis is suddenly going on and they need lots more water but aren't used to taking that much up at once.

Hmm, would that mean that xylem (plant vascular tissue that carries water and some nutrients) can temporarily shrink when not water's not being taken up in large amounts?

Charlie:
Use it or lose it - universal principle!  Maybe Chris has a more botanical opinion on this  :)

Charlie

helixturnhelix:
Hmm I will look into it, lots of work today :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page