Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:12:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice ASAP :(  (Read 19222 times)
Ernest

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »

Kerry, I've noticed the same thing with the winds. Here in North Tustin we are right in the path of the winds coming through the Santa Ana canyon and my  plants seem to look the worst after the winds. I have also found that I need to stake most of the small ones as they can easily blow over in high winds. After about a year in the ground they no longer need staking.
That greenhouse you showed looks like a nice basic plan.  I would recommend giving serious consideration to starting with a solid concrete foundation as that will prevent a number of problems that may arise in the future that can lead to serious structural instability.

Erny
Nievesgirl

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »

Kerry, I've noticed the same thing with the winds. Here in North Tustin we are right in the path of the winds coming through the Santa Ana canyon and my  plants seem to look the worst after the winds. I have also found that I need to stake most of the small ones as they can easily blow over in high winds. After about a year in the ground they no longer need staking.
That greenhouse you showed looks like a nice basic plan.  I would recommend giving serious consideration to starting with a solid concrete foundation as that will prevent a number of problems that may arise in the future that can lead to serious structural instability.

Erny

Erny,

That is good to know that your plants are ok after the winds. I am not sure if where I live has worse winds or not. I still would like to plant some of my plants in the ground. I will have to see how they do this year if I have the heart HAHA.
As for greenhouse , I do not want a concrete base because of the cost and I will need a permit ( I probably need one anyways ) but the cost will go up with that kind of foundation. In one of my books it shows concrete and cinder blocks to make a foundation to the shape of the greenhouse, then the wood is bolted in the concrete. I can use gravel or keep ground bare so I do not need a drain. Here is a pic ( kind of what I am talking about)

~Kerry~
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: