Need Advice ASAP :(

(1/4) > >>

Nievesgirl:
I am looking at weather in my area and it says around 4am 30 degrees and tomorrow around the same time 25 degrees. My plants are in pots in my yard. I see 3 that look bad from general winter weather. The rest seem fine what should I do to protect them ? Right now is kind of too late but if I can do something for them before tomorrow.

Denise:
Is it possible to bring them in the house, at least for the really cold nights coming up?

Nievesgirl:
I woke up this morning and all of them look bad  :-\ I hope they bounce back. I am going to get PVC and build a fram and drape it with a sheet... I hope that saves them. Next week will be back to the mid 40's I am still shocked that it will be 25 degrees at 4am tomorrow morning.

farmer d:
Hi Kerry:

Tonight's lows are a very serious situation for your hibiscus.  Mid 20s in my mind is a disaster and will probably kill many of your plants if left unprotected.

I'm not sure how many you have currently but maybe a good last minute move would be to cluster them together as tightly as possible, put something like you mentioned in your last post here and what I would do to ensure they are ok is bring out some extension cords and plug in some electric heaters.  Head on over to Bad Bath & Beyond or something comparable and get the type of heaters that blow the air.  I know this could be a budget killer but anything to keep them above freezing.

With temps this low I don't know if a simple covering will work.  Last night here in Hollywood it got down to the upper 30s and my toddler Tahitian Lavender Rainbow is now looking all droopy (along with a few potted seedlings) so I am going to take my electric heater and keep her warm the next few nights.  Fortunately I still have the Christmas lights up so I can plug into my extension cords already out.

Not trying to stress you out but all it takes is one night to kill them and tonight won't even be a close call, way below freezing out in the IE - very serious cold!

Farmer D

Gina:
Hi,

I, too was worried about my hibs.I live in Vista, Ca and its been cold for us too. Some of my pots are too big to move. I had tarps that I had bought for camping, etc. I just threw tarps over the ones I could not move. I will leave them on for the next few days, just to retain whatever warmth we have. Not sure if you are a Costco member but they had heavy duty tarps that were big, 2 for $20. I used those doubled up to protect some of my plants. Good luck:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page