Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:40:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natural seed pod.  (Read 13618 times)
davidwood
David In Nha Trang Vietnam

« on: October 28, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »

Charlie am I right in thinking that you once said that you have never seen a  natural cross. The thing is it has happened to me now for the second time, the first one was on Cosmic Gold and I never even noticed till I knocked it off, and this morning I have just seen a big pod on Cranberry Muffin.
Strange thing is I did try to do some crosses last year and I never got a pod as big as this, they all fell off.

* DSC06680.JPG (58.69 KB, 640x480 - viewed 846 times.)

David.
Maureenpm00

Maureen Long Island NY

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »

HI David - this is interesting. I can't wait to hear what the expert has to say about this. 
I wonder if the species ones make natural crosses more than hybrids?
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:50:59 AM »

David, what I meant is that I have never seen a naturally occurring pod that contained viable seeds. You will find lots of empty pods. With some experience you can usually tell an empty one from one that is plump with seeds.

That said, hybrid hibiscus are all descended from hibiscus species that were naturally pollinated in the wild and did produce seed pods with seeds. I found it very surprising that when we have a lot of flowering hibiscus all close together that we do not get a profusion of naturally pollinated seedpods. I'm sure it does happen on rare occasion but it is so rare that you have to think that the natural pollinator - whether some sort of insect, bird, or bat - is no longer living near where we are growing hibiscus these days. That seems likely, since for example the island of Mauritius where at least 2 of the hibiscus species are found naturally growing, has lost a great many of its endemic species to destruction of habitat over the centuries since it was discovered.

Charlie
Maureenpm00

Maureen Long Island NY

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »

Thanks for that information Charlie. I'm trying to learn as much as i can.

I have a question - What are the chances of getting viable seed with a chance of a nice seedling from a seed which is the same pollen/pod parents?

I just pollinated AG X Saffron today.  They are both blooming in my house today. I brought all my plants in a few nights ago as it's getting cold.  It's actually snowing out today...Yikes that's scaring me....i hate the cold winter weather....
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »

Maureen, chances are low but possible.

The other variable to keep in mind is that some varieties set seed well and others either do not set seed or do so only when conditions are perfect for it. The cross you made will work well if pollen from Acapulco Gold is placed on Saffron but is not likely to work done with Saffron pollen placed on Acapulco Gold. That is because Saffron sets seeds readily but Acapulco Gold does not.

Charlie
Maureenpm00

Maureen Long Island NY

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »

HI Charlie - thanks for explaining this to me.  I will be sure to put the pollen on Saffron next time.

I have a bunch of seed pods on Peach Train (PT X Voodoo magic).  This combo produced seed pods every time i did it. 

I just wish I liked the colors of Voodoo magic more - the bush i have right now in my living room has 19 buds on it.  What a fabulous brush and profuse bloomer.  I must have gotten 100 blooms in August from this CV. 
Gene

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »

Reading through some old posts and found this one. On three occasions, two this year on Rainbow Christie and one last summer on Happy Heart, we had seed pods set that we did not pollinate, getting viable seeds from each pod. We have one seedling each from HH and RC but have not yet attempted to germinate the second batch from RC. We live in the country in south central texas and as such have many potential pollinators. Maybe we have a pollinator that represents closest to those for hibiscus species in their native country. Look forward to seeing how these seedlings bloom in the future.
Merkity

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »

Everytime I go to Disneyland - I scour their hibiscus for seeds if its the right time of year.   they do happen every so often from this or that. Last time i was there i found a bunch of seed pods on what looked to be a White Wings or Ruth Wilcox hibiscus - maybe the species, not sure...collected as many as i could find Smiley
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: