Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:08:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenhouse Setup  (Read 39153 times)
Cindy
Cindy Black, Webmaster, Customer Service
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 05:31:27 AM »

Jordan, there are lots of ways to make a less-than-perfect greenhouse better. Charlie and I have had our share of funky greenhouses that we really had to work on!  Greenhouses are expensive, but any greenhouse is better than no greenhouse, and with a little work, you can make any greenhouse air-tight.

Getting the side walls to reach the bottom and have excess plastic that folds down onto the ground is really important. This is the quickest and easiest, low-tech way to do that:

Get a roll of greenhouse tape ("Poly Patch Tape" usually 4" wide)and greenhouse plastic ("Poly Cover"), or even bubble wrap - anything will work. If you can't find it at a local store, you can get it online at www.charleysgreenhouse.com . More expensive greenhouse coverings last longer, but anything will work for one winter if you are on a budget.

Lay the plastic all around the outside bottom of the greenhouse, with the top half up on the walls and the bottom half folded outside on the ground all around the greenhouse - an L shape all along the bottom of the greenhouse.

Tape the top of the plastic to the greenhouse wall in a solid line that leaves no gaps.

Then put something heavy (bricks, cinder blocks, heavy boards, or anything heavy!) on top of the plastic, right up against the greenhouse wall. Make sure the plastic is weighted down all along the bottom, around the corners, everywhere.

Use that same greenhouse tape to patch any holes anywhere else in the greenhouse. Patch all holes tightly. Holes are inevitable!  We all get them all the time. Patching holes is a frequent job for greenhouse owners.

Once you get your greenhouse airtight, add a little fan to your propane heater to force some circulation and blow the warm air all around the greenhouse. It will help keep all the plants uniformly warmer. Try to put it up high if you can, on a top shelf or hanging from the ceiling, and blowing from one end of the greenhouse into the center of the room.

If you want to go all out and make a super greenhouse, buy clear bubbled greenhouse plastic, and cover your whole greenhouse with it. The bubbled plastic gives the effect of double-walling your greenhouse, and it will really make a difference with keeping drafts out. Make sure you use enough to fold down onto the ground all around the outside of the greenhouse, and weight it down with something heavy all around. Also seal up every seam completely with greenhouse tape. This costs quite a lot more, so you may not want to do it this year, but for future years you might want to consider it.

You don't need a "perfect" greenhouse to keep hibiscus happy. A little bit of extra work will make any greenhouse better, and any shelter is better than being outside and exposed to very cold weather. Even an unheated greenhouse will cool down more slowly than the outside air at night and heat up more quickly when the sun comes up in the morning. So even a funky greenhouse is better than anything you can do outside, like freeze cloth and Christmas lights.

I hope this helps!
Cindy

Cindy
Southern California
Darkhorse

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »

Cindy,

Thank you so much for the ideas!  I will definitely try some of them next winter.  Perfecting winter seems to be an art...  if it's such a challenge here, I can't imagine what it would be like in a colder climate!

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
Cindy
Cindy Black, Webmaster, Customer Service
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 04:35:03 AM »

Greenhouses are definitely as much art as science, Jordan!  We work on improving ours all the time, and how to improve it is a constant discussion point between Charlie and me. And now that we're starting to build new ones in this new colder place, even more so! There may be such a thing as a "perfect" greenhouse, but I think no mere mortal could afford it. So we all build greenhouses that fit our budget, then tweak here and there to improve them.

You'll get yours nice and air-tight over time. Greenhouse tape and plastic work wonders! :-)

Cindy

Cindy
Southern California
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »

Jordan and Cindy I wanted to thank you for this thread.  I learned a lot and hopefully enough to properly grow my seedlings inside the house without getting them in the way.   My little home made creation of sorts.

Just a simple plant rack with adjustable shelves and plastic cover.  The trick was to come up with a way to cover the bottom and make it air tight.  The bubble wrap was an awesome idea and after a month of seeing my newly potted seedlings struggle and start to decline I think they will be growing again very shortly in this new set up.

Farmer D

* Greenhouse Plant Rack 3-10.jpg (284.78 KB, 1080x1920 - viewed 1169 times.)
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »

Nice job, Darren. Looks pretty good, too. Have you placed a thermometer inside yet? Probably warm in there, maybe even hot. Be interesting to know the high in the day and the night. Anyway, I bet it works to keep the seedlings growing well until you can put them outside in the sun.

Charlie
Darkhorse

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 10:09:38 AM »

Looks great, Darren! 

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

I was wondering if oxygen build up can be a problem in a small and rather well sealed set up like I have?  I purposely left a few small spots for air to filter in but as I add more plants could this become an issue?

Just wondering...

Farmer D
davidwood
David In Nha Trang Vietnam

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »

I was wondering if oxygen build up can be a problem in a small and rather well sealed set up like I have?  I purposely left a few small spots for air to filter in but as I add more plants could this become an issue?

Just wondering...

Farmer D
I think Cris talked about this the other day[air circulation] and Charlie nailed it for me, I was growing my seedlings in a large Tupperware box with the lid shut, I was doing it to retain moisture, I know you are sealing for a different reason but Charlie says not a good idea, I just removed the lid but I expect you will have to find a balance, sort of how many holes you can have without losing to much heat.

David.
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »

In theory, you could get a shortage of carbon dioxide as the plants use it up and expire oxygen. Greenhouse growers in the north US and Canada supplement with co2 gas during winter when the greenhouses stay closed up all the time. I think all you need to do is open the growing space up once or twice a day to change the air for fresh air. There are some other tricks that pot growers use when growing in enclosed spaces like placing dry ice or a yeast culture in the space. I doubt its very effective and not worth messing with for your situation. If you really want to add co2 you need a regulator, a meter, and a tank of co2 to release at the right rate into the space. But, just open the space up to fresh air occasionally and it should be fine.

Charlie
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

Charlie thank you for the information regarding oxygen build up.  The reason why I asked is I'm contemplating what I should do when I go out of town for two weeks end of May.  Obviously I can't leave my gh rack alone in my home.  Also if it goes more than a day or two without someone opening it up I am looking for potential issues that may arise.  I guess first move is to place it outside in the shade when I'm gone and then find someone who can mist my plants every few days.  I'll still have my three heat mats hooked up to keep it warmer than the outside.

I just got my digital thermometers a few days ago and so far I'm seeing a temp range of 76F - 84F with a consistent humidity of 77%.  Sounds good to me if I'm a baby seedling.  If anyone has any tips or things to look out for please let me know.

Farmer D
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »

Darren, your plan sounds good for May. The temps you are seeing inside the grow area are pretty close to perfect right now. I'm pretty sure the results will be to your liking. For humidity, you need to keep it below 90 percent to avoid problems.

Charlie
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »

I just upgraded my lighting set up to two 2ft 4 bulb T5s.  The T12s I had on top originally just wasn't nearly producing enough light.  Also the bottom now doesn't have to share the light of one lone T5 outside which was causing the plants to face too much to the light and start to grow a little crooked.

Interestingly the temps have now jumped up as well, 90-95F with 61% humidity.  I'll be watching them closely.

Farmer D

* Greenhouse Plant Rack 3-28.jpg (281.31 KB, 1080x1920 - viewed 1378 times.)
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:06 AM »

Sounds really good, Darren. That should be plenty of light now and the humidity is perfect.

I came across this product recently. Not sure who would buy one of these but if you continue to "upgrade", then here is one version of the ultimate grow container. http://www.growtainers.com/

Charlie

Darkhorse

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »

Looks good Darren.  How much have you noticed your monthly electric bill increasing?  I've thought about indoor lighting, but have been hesitant due to utility costs.

farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »

Thanks Charlie and Jordan.  It's only been one day and I'd swear I'm already seeing a difference in my seedlings.  Only problem is I'm going out of town this weekend and wonder with the increased heat if my plants will dry out and be in big trouble when I come back Monday night?

Jordan as for the utility bill I have noticed an increase but that could be from the rates going up which seems to be a constant lately.  I did check the meter in the back and noticed that the little arms were spinning so fast they were a blur Wink.

I can laugh for now at least!!

Farmer D
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: