Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:19:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenhouse Setup  (Read 37098 times)
Darkhorse

« on: September 28, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »

I'm going into my 4th year growing hibiscus, and I suppose it's about time for a greenhouse.  My collection has gotten much too large to stay inside.  In fact, it probably was last year as well... but that's another problem.

As per usual here in California I have a teeny, tiny backyard.  My entire property measures about .12 of an acre.  So, as you could imagine, potential locations for this greenhouse is somewhat limited. 

I finally settled on the south side of my house for two reasons.  Number one, the valley in which I live becomes a giant bowl of fog for the majority of the winter (I'm between Tracy and Stockton for you NorCal-ers).  At times we can go a month or so without ever seeing the sun.  Sunshine being the commodity that it is here, the south side of the house seemed most fitting.  Secondly, I just don't have anywhere else to put the greenhouse that wouldn't involve killing the grass.

The south side of the house is somewhat of a no-man's land.  I can't keep hibiscus there during the summer, as it gets full sun all day and is WAY too hot.  I don't even like to go over there during the summer.  As you can see from the picture, I haven't exactly done much with it.  Frankly, I don't even bother to pull the weeds that grow from in-between the concrete slabs... until now. 

This area was originally covered in old, dusty gravel full of random metal and glass pieces.  I think the people that owned the house before parked an old car here.  I shoveled most of the gravel out, with a little left to go.  You can see where I've started to sweep up the last of the dirt and gravel.  In case you haven't figured it out, big box = gh.

The fence over here needs to be replaced, but hopefully our neighbors will get tired of looking at it before we do.  They've already mentioned it once.  I just hope it doesn't fall on the greenhouse.

And now, for the greenhouse specs...  it's a Spring Gardener greenhouse from Lowe's:

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_4071-1298-IS+70810_0__?productId=3192597&Ntt=spring+gardener&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dspring%2Bgardener&facetInfo=

I  actually didn't choose it.  It was a birthday present from my mother.  I hope it does the job.  It has 80 sq. feet of floor space, and is 8' tall.  I will definitely need to install shelving.  I'm planning on putting an electric space heater inside so the temperature never gets below 70 degrees.  I'm also back and forth on whether I'd like to buy more gravel or simply use my uneven sidewalk as a floor.

All for now...  stay tuned...

* cldq2129.jpg (23.55 KB, 360x220 - viewed 839 times.)

* DSC01132.jpg (126.93 KB, 480x640 - viewed 858 times.)

* 00754915708109lg.jpg (42.9 KB, 276x276 - viewed 861 times.)

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
LJG

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »

Your electric bill will be through the roof! I would set it to 50 as low instead. At night your heater will run continuously trying to keep it at 70. My greenhouse heater runs on gas and it cost me a lot to heat just to 50 all winter.

Keep us posted on the build. I love greenhouse pictures.
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »

Have you started putting it together, Jordan? If it is a little intimidating let us help you with it. Surely we can offer lots of armchair helpful hints and encouragements as you go Smiley  Seriously, it's not as hard as it may seem before you get started.

Len makes a good point about heat. Although it would be great to keep the temperature at 70F that is often not an affordable goal. To do much good you need to keep it at least at 50F and I have noticed over the years that for every 5 degrees I can increase over that I see definite improvements in the plants. I usually aim for 60F as a happy compromise. You will be able to experiment and see what works for your situation.

Charlie

blupit007

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

Im excited for you Jordan.  If it helps with the argument about temps.  My house is set at 60º and my hibiscus stay healthy, happy, and blooming. (once they get settled from being outside).  The temps do raise a bit in the living room when we start the wood stove, but in the office where most of them are, it is usually 60.  Good luck!

-Kristen
Darkhorse

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »

Thanks all!  It's right up against the house too which should help with the heat situation.  I'll try 60F for the first month and see if that kills me, then adjust accordingly if necessary.  I did finally get it all the way up and together.  It was easy except for the cover.  That thing goes on there tighter than a broom in a witch's, um, butt...

I ripped the cover trying to put it on.  I figure masking tape will fix that.  I haven't actually put any plants in the gh yet, but will probably start tomorrow.  I have the little guys in the house as it has already gotten down into the low 40s here.

Here are some photos of my plight...

All the parts, frame going together, cover going on (guy is DH who thinks I'm nuts, but loves me anyway)...

I just realized I don't have a photo of the final product.  I'll have to take one tomorrow.

* Greenhouse1.jpg (110.64 KB, 480x640 - viewed 898 times.)

* Greenhouse2.jpg (103.42 KB, 480x640 - viewed 857 times.)

* Greenhouse3.jpg (119.9 KB, 480x640 - viewed 822 times.)

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »

Looks good jordan!

50 should be fine as the low temperature.  When temps are in the 50s at night, hibiscus still grow and bloom fine.  During the day the sun should warm the greenhouse considerably and temps will likely be in the 70s and 80s at least.  The point of a greenhouse is to trap solar radiation and due to the glass or plastic, allowing it to stay warmer at night, before the sun can heat it up again in the morning.   Ive gotten my hibisucs to grow and bloom during our spring in Seattle, where the high temps are in the 60s and lows in the 40s and 50s.  You will be suprised at how well they still do at lower temperatures, and you will get some amazing coloration!  The plants grow slower and taking longer to develop buds, but if it leaves extra money in your pocket, its worth the trade off Smiley
Darkhorse

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

Ok, we're up and running!  (kinda)

I put everyone in there that would fit.  Today is my day off, so I'm going to Home Depot to buy supplies to build shelves.  It's really crowded in the gh right now, with little room for me to water/inspect, etc.

I think I'm going to end up moving the gh to a sunnier area in my yard.  Because the sun is so low right now, it's not getting much direct sunlight and thus not heating up like I would hope.

It's super-humid in there too, and closed buds are actually festering with mold if I leave them on the plant.  Something I'll have to pay attention to this winter.

* Greenhouse.jpg (93.62 KB, 480x640 - viewed 805 times.)

* GreenhouseInside.jpg (134.86 KB, 640x480 - viewed 893 times.)

helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »

Hey Jordan,

I had to deal with mold problems up here in the PNW in the winter (its everywhere)  and I found that just getting a few fans going in the grow area fixed that.  For your greenhouse I think two box fans would work nicely.
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:24:02 PM »

Jordan great job!  That greenhouse is a great idea.  Looks not too tough to put together and if it is already that humid inside it must be working the way it should.  Your plants in the pic look so healthy and well taken care of.  A pleasure to see.

Can't wait to see some more awesome blooms.

Farmer D
Denise

Bay Area, CA

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »

How's the greenhouse working for you Jordan? I am browsing the internet for greenhouse ideas and tips because I will be needing one next year. There will simply be no room in my house for them next year! What do you use for a heater? Just a plug in space heater? Do you worry it's a fire hazard? Any tips or tricks you have discovered that you could share? I hope they're thriving!

Thanks!
Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 02:05:56 AM »

Oh, boy, Denise...  has it been a saga!  I'm not sure that I have the best quality greenhouse.  It was a gift, so I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

The first problem I had with it was my choice of location.  It was set in a spot on the south side of my house that I thought would get great sunlight, but with the sum so low in the wintertime, the house next door blocked all the light.  At that point I had an electric space heater inside it, so it was warm, but with the sudden decrease in light the plants weren't happy.

I moved the greenhouse to a spot in my yard that gets the most direct sun--  about 5 hours currently.  Then came the problem with heat.  The gh is already drafty as it's not even really connected to the ground.  I think the R value is very low as well, as within an hour of losing sun it's the same temperature inside as outside.  It's basically a tent that just sits on top of the grass in my yard.  Well, my little electric heater blew the breaker, so now I have no power to the outdoor outlets or any of my bathroom outlets.  I went and bought myself a Coleman propane heater after a couple of cold nights, and was using the little propane tanks that are made for those tent heaters.  The first heater I bought was 1500BTU and wasn't NEARLY big enough to make a veritable difference in temperature in that drafty thing...  so I went and bought the bigger Coleman heater (3000BTU) which is turning out to be barely enough.  The new heater was eating up one little propane tank every three hours or so, so I went and bought a 20 gallon tank only to find that the bloody thing needed an adapter to connect to the heater.  I bought one of those too...  and am going through 20 gallons of propane every week or so.  I don't have a thermometer, so I'm not sure how warm it stays inside now, but I'm guessing around 5 degrees warmer than outside.

On the positive side, it didn't blow away in the wind in the past couple of days.  The wind blew right through it, though, and took all the heat with it!

*facepalm*  So that's where we're at right now.  Sorry I don't have a better story to share!  I've lost a few plants to wilt disease already, too.  My suggestion would be for you to spend what you can to get (or build) the best greenhouse within your means.  Do research on heat retention.  Definitely don't get the Lowe's Spring Gardener gh!  I don't really worry about fire, as I have the propane tank and heater out in the middle of the gh and away from everything.  

Denise

Bay Area, CA

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »

Oh man, sorry about all of that. I was definitely hoping to hear a better report than that Sad Yes, the greenhouses I was looking at online were all around $150-$250 and look like the one you have pictured. Yikes, was hoping to get away with spending no more than that. Maybe I will just have to rearrange my house a little more creatively next year... currently I have 4 plants in the guest shower, 3 on the kitchen counter and 3 toughing it out outside. I have 4 coming from HVH this Spring...and my heart set on several more!  Cheesy My house isn't very big!

I saw online someone said they just use a lamp with a 150 watt bulb in it and strings of Christmas lights to heat their greenhouse. I wonder if that would even work??

I bet you are spending a lot on propane then huh? I wonder which is more expensive: propane or electric??

Ahhhh....what we go through for these dang things!
Darkhorse

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »

Perhaps it would just be easier to move to a tropical climate.  Smiley

Where in the bay area are you Denise?  We're pretty close to each other...

I think lights inside are a good idea, and that may be what I try next winter.  I have some plants on my bathroom counter, and have just left the vanity lights on for them.  The lights warm up the room (door shut b/c of bad kitties) and the plants are nice and green, and actually growing!  There's not even really a window to speak of in there.

Denise

Bay Area, CA

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »

Jordan I'm in Concord. Where are you?

That's great that some of yours are actually growing. I had two in the bathroom and they both ended up dying! Argh. But the three I have in the kitchen are all growing new leaves--so exciting!!! I wonder if the Supernova and HVH fertilizer I started is the reason? Or the sun for about 4-5 hours a day. WHO KNOWS!? Smiley
Darkhorse

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »

Any direct sun is a huge help...  and I'm sure the fertilizer and Supernova help too!  Were you leaving your lights on in the bathroom 24/7?  My lights in my bathroom are bright, and I leave them on all the time.  That may be why my hibs in there are doing well.

I lived in Milpitas for 4 years when I was at SJSU, then bought a house in Lathrop a little over 2 years ago.  I work in Dublin, so we are fairly close!  So cool!  Shoot me an email if you want--  forsaken_lioness@yahoo.com

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: