Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:15:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Nova vs Nitrozyme  (Read 10006 times)
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« on: April 04, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »

So I bought a product called Nitrozyme since the hydroponics store was out of Supernova. The sales person said that he has tried both Nitrozyme and Supernova and found that Nitrozyme had a more profound effect in increasing bud formation and more compact growth, than Supernova. Contributing this to the increased concentration of cytokinin (a bit surprised to hear someone talk about cytokinin at the store) in Nitrozyme.  Has anyone else tried Nitrozyme before?
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:34:50 AM »

Chris, both products are extracts from the seaweed Ascophyllum Nodosum. I personally doubt if there is any significant difference and expect the salesmen was influenced by the heavy hype that exists around hydroponic products aimed at the marijuana growing market. When he says "increasing bud formation" he is talking the smokable kind of bud. As a scientist you might be able to do a more controlled type of experiment using hibiscus. I'd be very interested in hearing the results of that.

Charlie
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »

LOL, yes it is always pretty funny going in to the hydroponics store because of the Marijuana market.  One thing I do have to say is that indoor MJ agriculture is really the driving factor for products like nitrozyme and supernova to be developed for the hobbyist grower.  I was also reading an article that it has really driven research and development of new growth enhancing products, so it is great for plant growers everywhere!   

I figured that the effect would be the same, since not only is the "active ingredient" the same for both, but you are also diluting it for use, so even a higher concentration will just translate to using less of it when you make the stock solution. If I find a place with some supernova I will try both,either way I think this should prime them for spring/summer!
blupit007

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:08 AM »

My hydroponics store carries all that stuff.  I asked if they carry Supernova and he said that he had a sample given to him at the big events they have for the suppliers to share their new products.  He didn't have enough info about it to put it on his shelves. He wanted to know how it worked and so on before he premoted it in his store.  I told him it is great!  I want to go there and look at this stuff you are talking about. 

On another note.  I see this Super Thrive on shelves everywhere.  you know, the one with all the ridiculous advertising for the packaging... What are your thoughts about this?  Is this another Miracle Grow sort of thing, or is it good for anything?

-Kristen
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »

Super thrive seems to be a B vitamin supplement.  I am not sure if b vitamins play a very important role in growing and flowering
davidwood
David In Nha Trang Vietnam

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »

Kristen if you look back on this forums history there is an actual thread on Supernova V Superthrive, quite interesting reading as well.

Personally I cant imagine anything better than Supernova in the garden, in fact I am writing about one of its many uses and  I will share once I have clearer pictures to prove the point, its about its use in getting many extra nodes to become branches after pruning, its amazing.

David.
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »

David, good point about Supernova. I look forward to your photos. I cannot afford to use it on all our plants all the time but the specific use I have for it is with the small baby plants in 4 inch pots. I work harder on getting multiple stems started before shipping than any other aspect of growing. It saves the person receiving the hibiscus months of waiting for blooms if the plant is already growing side shoots and no further pruning is needed the first year.

As Chris noted, Superthrive contains B vitamins as well as the rooting hormone IBA. Makes it well suited for transplanting or helping overcome stress but does not do much for a healthy plant already growing well.

Charlie
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: