Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:21:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New one gallon size  (Read 5318 times)
Doll

Houston, Texas

« on: March 16, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »

Charlie, will these need to be moved up to a two gallon pot right away or would it be better to wait a few months?

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »

Doll, in most cases it will be up to what someone prefers to do. The 6 inches that are now 1 gallon - same width as before but several inches taller - provide more root room and hold more water. The main reason we used to recommend that the 6 inch be transplanted right away is that they dried out fast and needed water every day in summer. The water in the 1 gallon size will last a little longer but even so there are reasons you might want to go to a bigger pot size. For instance, if there is any wind the bigger plants in the 1 gallon pots will blow over fairly easily. Also, if bigger plant size is a plus they will grow a good bit larger and faster if transplanted to a larger pot.

Charlie
Doll

Houston, Texas

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »

I'm not worried about the wind since I'm going to sink the pots in the ground. I probably will need to move them to bigger pots though because of the summer heat here. Thanks

Doll

Houston, Texas

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »

Charlie, I received my shipment today and the plants look amazing in those one gallon pots! Compassion will have a bloom tomorrow. Electric Red sure is a vigorous bush.

Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:36:46 AM »

That's great news! They are really just now poised to take off - both blooming and growing. In Houston I bet most of them will double is size during the coming summer and bloom while they are growing! Are you still planning to sink the pots in the ground? That should look nice and give good results.

Charlie
Doll

Houston, Texas

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »

Yes, I sunk all the pots in the ground this year. I don't want to try to dig everything up in November. Too much work.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: