Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:40:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter on a Budget  (Read 24026 times)
Darkhorse

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 01:14:30 AM »

Oh boy is winter a big pain in my @#%@#!!!!  Mites mites mites, fungus, and cats.  It's like revenge of the mites part II at my house right now... in one bedroom in particular.  The weird thing is that I've been feeding Kontos w/ every watering.  I'm guessing the plants just haven't been taking water up fast enough.  I've doubled the dose of Kontos from 1/8 tsp per gallon to 1/4 tsp per gallon in hopes that this will help.  With watering happening less than once a week, we shall see.  I'm concerned that I now have a resistant mite population and I've created the world's first supermite.

Now, some of my plants are developing black leaf spot.  It does seem to be spread by proximity, as all of the affected plants are crammed on one table in a window. 

..........Now for venting..........

I washed Valentine's Day off in the shower tonight as she was covered in mites.  Besides the fact that I'm creeped out by the idea that all the mites jumped onto me for dear life (I know I don't have chlorophyl for them to drink, but still, EWW).  This is the same plant that the littlest kitty knocked off the table and crushed earlier this winter.  Anyway, she's sickly from the mites, has fungus, and then I somehow fall asleep for an hour after washing her off.  The plant is still in the shower and the same little kitty that knocked Vday off the table has now chewed off another branch.  @#$^@#$!!!

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »

I'm really sorry to hear this, Jordan. Valentines Day is one of the worst for getting mites when grown indoors. Strangely enough, I don't have any problems with it outside. You may want to keep it away from other plants for the rest of winter.

I don't know what to think about the Kontos. Hopefully the larger dose will make a difference. It continues to work well for us on our indoor hibiscus. Only an occasional small outbreak that is limited to one plant from time to time but otherwise mite-free for over a year now. If there was a time that the pesticide level was lower and mites moved in then all you can do is keep it higher for the next few weeks and the mites should disappear, based on our experience here. One problem with showering the plants while trying to use Kontos is that saturates the root ball with water and makes absorbing the Kontos slower. I understand how hard it is to stand by and watch the leaves fall off but maybe someway of showering without drenching the soil can be worked out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Charlie
Darkhorse

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »

Vday was definitely the worst affected of those on the table.  Saffron is right in there with the rest, and doesn't seem to have any mites yet.  I'm sure the mite resurgence is due to the fact the plants have been almost frozen in time... indoor temps but very little sun have almost halted their growth and uptake of water. 

Is winter over yet?  lol

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »

Well geez mike that is an awesome set up!  Your plants are going to just take off in the spring, without any help!

Jordan,  Definately try my hot soapy water technique on your plants.  I fill a 1 gallon sprayer with hot water (as hot as the water in the tub will come out) and a drop of soapy water.  I spray the back of the leaves down once a week and it seems to keep the mites at bay.  I havent had any problems with them so far.  Good luck, hopefully the sun will come out soon!  I still have another 5 months of cloudy weather.
blupit007

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »

Ugh!  Jordan, I hear ya!  I have been using the Kontos also and I have been dealing with mites for a couple weeks now out of nowhere.  I have been spraying off the ones that have signs of them in the shower.  I also upped the dose of Kontos last week only to bring it back down yesterday... Hopefully it will work.  Seems to have, cross my fingers.  Chris, I will try this, you don't hose them down in the shower at all? 

-Kristen
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »

I am really lazy and have crappy dorm-like carpet so if it gets wet I just through a fan on it.  You really dont need too much water using this method.  I bet putting them in your tub would be a good idea... like washing your dog.  Ive been treating my hibiscus like a pet, oh its time for Geronimo spray down,  geez Shockwave looks hungry, better give it some booster.  Sigh... this is what happens when your apartment only lets you have fish.
Darkhorse

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »

The soapy water does seem to be helping.  I've also upped my dose of Kontos, which also seems to help.  A few more weeks and I should be able to put them all outside again!  My Space Oddity and Purple Magic are so large, they've been able to spend most of the winter outside. 

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: