Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:57:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spinosad  (Read 4254 times)
Nievesgirl

« on: September 10, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »

I bought Spinosad but in a concentrated bottle so I have to mix my own. On the directions is says do not store use all of what you made at once ?

Charlie what is the reason for this ? I hate to waste this stuff. I am about to spray it on my plants tonight but the bottle I have mixed is aleast a month old.

~Kerry~
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »

Kerry, almost all pesticides that we use commercially have this warning. I think it is because the chemicals break down, particularly when mixed with water and allowed to get hot and as if often the case exposed to sunlight as well. Stored cool and dark it might be less of a problem but since no one studies this it is all a big question mark. The safest way for you to go would be to learn to estimate the amount you can use up and then make up only that much, changing the instructions as appropriate. 2 teaspoons per gallon becomes half a teaspoon in a quart, etc. It can be hard when using less than a quart because some of the concentrates would get down to just drops per cup.

Anyway, I doubt it will hurt your plants but the effects on the insects may not be what you expect with month old mixtures.

Charlie
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: