Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon's Breath as a Houseplant  (Read 45220 times)
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« on: July 29, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »

Does Dragon's Breath and its kid Black Dragon, make better houseplants than outdoor plants.  It seems that these two cvs are pretty delicate and like stable conditions with a mixture of sun and shade.  It would make sense that these two would do well in a indoor environment because of their preference for stable environments and lower light need.  Has anyone tried these two in the house?  I have a small black dragon that I want to try in the house, but it is really happy in its spot on the porch and I don't want to move it at this time, if at all possible.  Would like to hear any experiences on this, if you have them.  Cheesy
Darkhorse

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm hoping that when HVH has more available, I can get my hands on a Black Dragon and keep it indoors.  As picky as it seems to be, it would be good to know how it does inside first!  I'm nervous about getting this one, as I don't like to kill plants.  Did you struggle to find a good spot for yours Chris, or is it generally ok in half sun/shade?

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:20:31 PM »

Hi Jordan,

I was a bit nervous getting a black dragon too, especially after reading about how other forum members had theirs shed all its leaves when it was unhappy.  Well anyways, I ended up ordering one on Amazon.com of all places.  When I got my order the plant was in pretty bad condition, it looked like an 8' stick with three leaves on top, and two buds forming.  It was a pathetic plant and given what I've read about BD, I really thought it was a goner.  What I did next was keep it in full shade for about a week after I got it, after that week I transplanted the plant into a bigger pot.  (it was in a 4' pot when I got it)  Once I started getting new growth I actually just cut the top off and literally only had a stick left.  At this point I put the plant in a spot that got sun from about  9:30am - 11 am.  Its been about three months and wow what a difference it made.  The plant is covered in new stems and I would say has about 6 branches forming.  It loves this spot, with only about two hours of direct sun a day.  Mine is growing really vigorously which surprised me because of what I read.  I already posted a picture of my BD on another thread but here it is again.  The plant actually looks even fuller now, and this pic was taken about three weeks ago.  I will try and get another picture tomorrow.   

I guess to answer your question, it seems as though my BD likes it mostly shady, getting 2-3 hours of sunlight a day.  Granted I am unsure if this is sufficient light to induce blooming because I have yet to get any new buds.  I am not really worried though, because I think the plant is currently focusing on growth, and making all those yummy proteins needed for bud formation Cheesy Because of the fact mine is growing so well in the shade makes me think that it would do well in the house, but I have yet mustered the courage to move him because he is doing so well in his little nook on my porch.  Hopefully a more seasoned BD owner can give some better experience Tongue

* Photo 3.jpg (52.88 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1709 times.)
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21:52 PM »

and by experience* I actually mean advice, its too late  Undecided
Nievesgirl

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:19:23 AM »

I can't wait to get Black Dragon, I think my balcony will be perfect for it lol . I should be getting one next week.

~Kerry~
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »

Personally, I think Dragons Breath and Black Dragon are excellent candidates for indoors or porch growing, provided the light is adequate for them. Dragons Breath is known to lose buds to rotting in high sun and heat locations. It makes huge buds before they open and these buds seem to soak up too much heat in some conditions. However, indoors or in protected areas they should do fine and the reduced overall stress on the plant should help them survive.

Thinking back, I have not found either cv touchy or difficult but rather the problem has been that some specimens just die quickly for unknown reasons. It is tempting to say that they are overwatered but I don't think there is sufficient evidence to conclude that. The ones that do not die, which is most of them, grow just fine for years. The growth habit of Black Dragon is wilder than Dragon's Breath but if guided and trained it would probably "shape up".

Charlie
Nievesgirl

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »

Personally, I think Dragons Breath and Black Dragon are excellent candidates for indoors or porch growing, provided the light is adequate for them. Dragons Breath is known to lose buds to rotting in high sun and heat locations. It makes huge buds before they open and these buds seem to soak up too much heat in some conditions. However, indoors or in protected areas they should do fine and the reduced overall stress on the plant should help them survive.

Thinking back, I have not found either cv touchy or difficult but rather the problem has been that some specimens just die quickly for unknown reasons. It is tempting to say that they are overwatered but I don't think there is sufficient evidence to conclude that. The ones that do not die, which is most of them, grow just fine for years. The growth habit of Black Dragon is wilder than Dragon's Breath but if guided and trained it would probably "shape up".

Charlie

Thanks for more info about these Cv's I think my balcony sounds so right for both of these cv's Charlie have you seen or have had Creole Belle ? Its from Bobby Dupont. Its like a pink dragon's breath no doubt that its a DB seedling.  I read that it grows on its own root. I was tempted to get it but I think I have enough Dragon's breath children lol 

~Kerry~
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:43:37 AM »

Hi Kerry,

I've seen Creole Belle, and the flower is really pretty.  The bush looks pretty lush, but it is weak.  Many of the blooms I saw were drooping because the branches couldn't support the weight of the blooms.  I am unaware if that it was just because it was a young plant, but that is what I observed of this cv.  The flowers are really something though... Cheesy
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »

BD today Smiley Its its happy nook oh the porch

* DSC_0091.JPG (3.17 KB, 86x128 - viewed 1405 times.)
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »

Hi Chris,

I clicked to check out your Black Dragon but the photo is so tiny. You can go up to 400kb and this one is only 3! Try sizing to around 500x500 or so and at least 50kb so we can get a good look! Thanks.

Charlie
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:54:34 PM »

Ok hopefully this resize worked

* DSC_0091.JPG (22.91 KB, 343x512 - viewed 1335 times.)
Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »

Ok, now I want a Black Dragon even more.  Tongue  When I move, I think I'll get one to keep inside.  I wouldn't want to pull it out of a stable environment... haha.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: