Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outdoor Only Hibiscus  (Read 12235 times)
Darkhorse

« on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:10 PM »

There's been a lot of talk about cvs that do well indoors, but are there any varieties that love sun so much they can't stand it inside?  I'm planning on bringing all of my plants indoors when I have space, and am curious to know if I have anybody who would prefer to stay outside.

Thanks!

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:22:22 PM »

I would like to hear some ideas on this one too Cheesy
Cindy
Cindy Black, Webmaster, Customer Service
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:00:47 AM »

OK, speaking for San Diego, California and my own experience..... I think they would all prefer to be outside in the optimum climate: 80-85 degree days, 65-75 degree nights. Until nights drop below 50, most of them would still prefer to be outside as much as they can. They will bud up more rapidly outside with more sun, and you'll get more flowers.

Once nights get below 50, I think they would all like to come inside, even if they don't get as much sun as they like. As long as they have the proper indoor nutritional support, with less sun, the leaves will grow bigger and darker green as the plant increases its chlorophyll so it can photosynthesize more with less sun. So the bushes look really lush inside. They will tend to bloom out all the buds they developed while they were still outside. If you have a sunny window inside, they'll make more flowers. If you don't have a sunny window, they'll grow a more lush bush. When I have a sick plant, I put it in my least sunny window on purpose to help it concentrate on growing the bush and to prevent the stress of flowering.

If you keep plants outside until nights drop to 40, they'll start to lose leaves,  stop growing, and go semi-dormant. You risk losing some of the trickier plants or some of your younger plants.

Ideally, if you're really energetic, you could move your plants in and out (NO WAY DO I HAVE TIME TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!  GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!) But in the best of all worlds, our hibs would love to go outside on a warm winter day and come back in at night. But of course, most of us can't manage that!

The differences in sun tolerance apply more to hot sun and hot climates, I think.

Sleeping Beauty is one of the hibs that likes more shade, but it still likes to get an hour  of direct sunlight every day in order to flower. Sun-lovers like Saffron and Acapulco Gold would want to get at least a couple of hours of direct sun every day to bud up and flower. So you might want to keep them outside longer than Sleeping Beauty, but not so long you risk damaging them in the cold.

If you have a hibiscus we call "tricky" at all, don't risk the cold! We have an old, really tricky cultivar called "Ring of Fire" whose branch tips would die if temps just barely hit 40! I had to bring it in the house and nurse it back to health far from any window for 2 years after temps dropped to 40 or 41 degrees! Needless to say, we don't grow that cv anymore. But any hib that is undergoing stress can have an extra strong reaction to cold. So warmth is very important. Sun is nice for budding and blooming, but warmth is a necessity for basic health for hibs.

Does this make sense?

Cindy

Cindy
Southern California
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »

Awww its too bad Acapulco Gold and Saffron dont bloom well in indoor conditions Sad  I hope that my new apartment has sunny windows for them to grow and bloom in!  I don't  know if I am going to have a porch yet Sad
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »

Sunny windows are the key. Whether indoors or out cvs like Saffron and Acapulco Gold bloom very well if they get some sun. I got over 100 pods from Saffron and Acapulco Gold crosses from plants inside our office last year, but those plants are in sunny windows for part of the day.

Charlie
roadrunner

SE Arizona

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

My hibiscus spent last winter inside in sunny south facing windows. Acapulco Gold, Saffron, and several others bloomed nicely all winter and the blooms on several of them generally lasted longer too, 2-4 days as opposed to one day rarely two days in the hot summer greenhouse.

Dave N.
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »

Thats great news.  I will take some pictures of my saffron and acapulco gold when i get back home.  I pruned both of them two weeks ago and they are both vigorously growing.  I counted 10 branches forming on acapulco gold, compared to the three it had I also moved it up to a 9 inch pot so it is looking happy.  Saffron looks like it has three on each branch so that makes 6.  Another cool thing about acapulco gold is it is sending out new growth with buds!  It looks like the spinosad is working Smiley 

I also wanted to mention my brief experience with Illuminati.  Ive had it about a month and its grown 5 inches, there are buds forming and the leaves are huge and very lush.  It also appears to be branching without pinching.  Im thinking I should have some blooms in three weeks, just before I box all my hibs up for their new home in Denver!  It should be interesting to see if the altitude effects the growth and flowering of the plants and if the increase in solar radiation, due to the altitude, influences the amount of sunlight they need to bloom.  Theres always something new to discover in each new place! 
Darkhorse

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 09:38:02 PM »

Well, I'm looking for a house now and lots of sunny windows are high on my priority list.  That's good to hear-- I was a little worried because I keep my house cold compared to other people (68-70, 72 at the most), but with sun I think the hibs should be ok.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."  -Edgar Allan Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: