Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:15:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rosemary Oil Spider Mite and Egg Killer  (Read 18126 times)
Kyle

« on: September 22, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »

SNS 217 Spider Mite and Egg Killer.
https://sierranaturalscience.com/natural-pesticides/sns-217/

What i really liked about the product is that it works and does not leave a white residual coating on the leaves and has a pleasant odor.   I have not noticed any cuticle damage after 1 application.   After making the solution it can be stored without expiring or losing potency.

*Note the free samples of SNS 217 only makes about 11.5 oz of ready to use product.
It is not recommended to spray while in direct sun.

When I ordered samples, i ordered everything they had to offer because you will receive 2 samples of 217 mites killer that way.   I also been using the 209 soil drench.
The  209 sample makes 10 gals.  Its very easy to use by adding 1/2 tsp per gal to your nutrient water or into your reservoir.   They recomend the 209 soil drench to be used every time your fertilize for  2-3 weeks then bi weekly for mites and monthly for scale.  The soil drench targets mites/eggs, white fly, thrips, fungus gnats, root aphids, leaf worm, and SCALE.   

Kyle

Kyle

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »

The soil drench is now organic and found out the 209 soil drench does not harm beneficials.   We don't want harm our wonderful hard working microbes that attach themselves to the roots.
After the initial couple  weeks the soil drench is meant to be cut back and or stopped until outbreaks.  
The sample of 217 mite spray worked well considering I only used it twice on 2 hibiscus.  1 is still mite free the 2nd had a couple minor outbreaks since.  After my sample ran out I stopped using it because the 217 mite spray is really expensive and there other products that work well for much cheaper price.
I still use the 209 soil drench but  1 or 2 times a month.  I think the pint concentrate that makes 60gal of soil drench was about $25.    
Kyle
Cindy
Cindy Black, Webmaster, Customer Service
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:01:41 AM »

We always like to hear about potential new ways to deal with spider mites. All the other pests are fairly easy to handle but mites can be a challenge.

Unfortunately, there are companies out there that are better at promoting their products than in delivering products that actually work. Only way to find out is to try something (if the marketing makes sense, if it does not sound logical then forget it is my suggestion) and see if it works over a year or so.

Please let us know about your further adventures in pest control!

Cindy
Southern California
Jim

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »

Kyle, would you guess the drench works as well as Kontos?

Thanks
Kyle

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

Jim,
I'm not sure what pest problem you have to say if something works better vs the other. 
 I used Kontos a few times as a soil drench but didn't notice any difference with or without it against mites.
I was desperate and tried it as a foliar spray and it helped a little bit but I think the effect of drowning with water was why it worked a tiny bit for me.
In general soil drenches don't do a whole lot in killing spider mites.   Kills eggs though that fall on top of the soil.
I did not see any benefit in using Kontos. 
For the price and limited availability, it's just not worth it.
Kontos is really hard to find now and I don't trust any sources that sell it. 

Kyle
Merkity

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »

I will have to try and remember to look for this at my local hydroponics store - they are listed as a retailer.  This won't affect bees/ladybugs etc?  have to do do some looking...
Kyle

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »

Merkity,
The rosemary acid shouldn't harm beneficial insects because they don't suck the chlorophyll out of the leaves and stems.
I wouldn't use the foliar spray directly on beneficial insects and I don't know for sure if it will harm beneficial insects.   SNS claims it won't harm beneficial microbes in the soil and the rosemary is food grade safe.
The rosemary acid/oil can be applied by foliar spray or soil drenching by adding it to your nutrient water.
It's really easy to use for both watering cans or fancy drip systems.   

When you soil drench or foliar spray, a little bit of rosemary acid is absorbed into the leaves, stems, roots, and all parts of the plant.  This is  called systemic.    The rosemary products also have anti fungal properties. 
It might or might not kill the pest, but it makes the chlorophyll taste bitter so the pest move on and find something else to to eat like your neighbors plants.    The product is also suppose to act as a barrier around the cell walls so pest can't get to the leaf juice.   

You can purchase all of the Sierra Natural Science products directly on their website.
You don't need to bother going into a hydro store to get it. 
If you decide to try SNS products you can request free samples and just pay for shipping before you purchase anything. 
I recommend the SNS 209C (concentrate) if you buy.
The 1 pint bottle makes enough for 60 gals.   
Your only using 1/2 tsp of product per 1 gal of water with your nutrients.

I have a coupon code for 25% off any size SNS 209C   Expires 4-30-17
Use coupon code  209-25 at checkout for 25% off.    It's about $18 for the 1 pint (makes 60 gal) +free ship.

The 209C targets mites, scale, fungus gnats larva and eggs, thrips, and white flys.

Be sure to follow the directions and dosing  schedule!
If you order free samples they usually send you a nice laminated schedule on when and how to use their products as a quick reference.     

1 single product  is not going to fix your pest problems.
Persistence and using multiple products on a rotating schedule is the way to go when dealing with pest.

The rosemary acid should just be 1 of many products that you use to have pest free hibiscus.

Worm castings + rosemary acid = bitter taste to pest.   

Kyle 

Merkity

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »

Thx for the info!   I got new soil with worm castings mixed in this year - that alone helps reduce white fly over time.  The only thing I know that pretty much works on everything is the Bayer Tree & Shrub - but since thats bad for our beneficials - I am going to try some alternative options this summer.  Controlling Ants in the plants is a major part of the pest control.  Once those are under control the pest breakouts are much smaller in scale and can usually be dealt with pretty quickly. 
Kyle

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

Merkity,
The ants are likely going after the sweet nectar in the flowers or the sap that can accumulate under the leaves.
Some ants are considered beneficial insects since they eat other insects and are natural pollinators.
Some ants eat other ants. 
They might not be doing any harm to your hibiscus but they can get out of control and become unsightly or find another food source inside the home.
Kyle

Ellen

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »

Merkity, we live in fire ant country so ant control is a big deal.  We use Extinguish (buy it by the 50@ bag online)  sprinkle it on the anthills and no more ants until the next invasion.  The ants carry it home for all to eat. 
Ellen

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 01:12:02 PM »

SNS is offering free shipping right now
Merkity

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »

good to know!   we don't have biting ants - but then farm the pests and try to set up shop in my pots...not cool.
Merkity

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »

So update - I have just applied a 3rd does of the rosemary oil since early spring.   I have not used any other pest control this summer on the plants.   I have seen some small outbreaks of aphids, but very small.   There are some white flies, but only on certain big plants, and on the smaller plants which likely used up their does of oil faster - and got less due to being seedlings.    The outbreaks of scale and mealy bugs that I had last year hasn't happened yet.   There are thrips, but not in large quantities yet...   overall the pests are at a low level and not overwhelming my plants.   I ended up buying a gallon of the stuff, so I will keep using it and see how it goes. 

Kyle

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »

Thanks for the update Merkity!   What SNS product have you been using?

Earlier this summer I moved my Space Oddity  to the front of my home and in about a week the top buds were covered in aphids.   
I used the SNS 209C but made it into a foliar spray like the directions say instead of watering it in.
I sprayed the aphids 2 days in a row and by the end of that week every single aphid gone! 
I have not seen any aphids since.     
For thrips try following the application guide exactly how the directions say for the 1st month and see if it helps.
You might want to consider the SNS 203 or 203 concentrate for thrips.

Kyle

Kyle

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »

I stopped using all the Sierra products as don't use soap or oil products anymore.
I don't like the Sierra  program and if I'm going to spray something it better have nutritional value and kill all the bugs and continue working systemically.
It's way to expensive and basically buying water.
Kyle
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: