Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:58:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trashcans as frost "blankets"  (Read 12100 times)
Bradley

« on: March 02, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »

I live in Jacksonville, FL, and in any given winter we get about 10 or so nights below 32 degrees. This year we even had 1 night at 19 degrees. Anyhow, I used to wrap my in ground hibiscus in blankets and such, and the freeze always burnt the leaves, not to mention it is a hassle. The plants would always take a horrible beating below 25 degrees with the blankets on them.
     This year I purchased thick plastic trashcans ($11 each) to do the job, and it worked well even when we got down to 19 degrees. Small caveat to that, our freezes don't start until 3 in the morning and are gone soon after the sun rises. I prune the hibiscus to fit the trashcan, about to 3 feet tall, and tie or bungee the branches upright for ease of use and sure fit (think Christmas tree prepared for transport). The amount you prune is only limited by the size of trashcan.

farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »

Bradley - thank you for sharing your novel idea.  That has got me thinking now in a different direction on how best to protect my in ground hibiscus in a worst case freeze scenario.  I like the fact it is more budget friendly too!

This is exactly why this forum is so invaluable!  I ask others to share their ideas without hesitation too.  Great job Bradley!

Farmer D
Ernest

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »

Bradley, I second the thanks. What a great idea. I bought a bunch of the Plankets but they are not the easiest thing to use when the need suddenly arises. Fortunately we rarely get a freeze in this part of southern California but it's good to have several options just in case.

Erny
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »

Thanks for sharing the trashcan suggestion, Bradley.

Charlie
Kyle

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »

thank you for suggesting a trashcan,   a pack or 2 of hand warmers under the can and you have a Hibiscus Motel.     
Merkity

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »

Great idea!
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

Kyle your comment about hand warmers is the missing piece to this idea.  I have never heard of them before but it seems like a potential heat source.  I saw one that advertises up to 200 hours of heat - that is along stretch.  Just wondering how much heat each pack generates?
Kyle

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »

Found them at a local wholesale big box store for footballs games, they last up to 8 hrs each 40 per box for under $20.    Since it's just iron and vermiculite mixed with air you can recycle the used packs rather than toss them out.      The type that last hundred hours are more for adding to boxes to keep chemicals from freezing during shipping.
Depending on the size trashcan you have,  you can tape them to the pot to insulate the roots. With a wireless temp probe, you can moniter the temp inside the Motel.
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 01:20:12 AM »

Thank you for the additional info Kyle.  This has me contemplating about doing an experiment with my potted porch plants.  They are all pretty much stick plants with green nodes waiting to start growing again when summer temps return.

Such a stark difference from my in ground plants which are flourishing and blooming all over the place all winter.

So if I can attach a bunch of these hot packs around my 10 gallon ceramic pots during winter will that stop my plants from losing their leaves?  The experiment boils down to is keeping the roots warm during winter enough?  Or does it need to be the whole plant.  If so then I need some sort of transparent casing similar to a trash can that can trap in the heat while housing some of those packs.

Yeah - it is getting pretty far fetched now

Farmer D
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: