Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:39:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nightfire vs. Midnight Blue  (Read 28011 times)
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »

Nightfire has its drawbacks for sure but flower color is not one of them. I finally have a Nightfire offspring that does not close early, or at least one flower of it stayed open for 2 days. This seedling is in the hottest part of the greenhouse where the heat cannot escape easily. I saw the flower the other day but did not have a camera so no photo of the fresh bloom. The color was so nice that I marked the plant and the following day went back to it and saw that the bloom, though showing some heat stress, was still open toward the end of the second day. I hope that is typical for this flower since it is a pretty one. Below is the photo. It is Nightfire x Ice Storm.

Charlie

* 07-3306 Nightfire x IceStorm-f.jpg (110.66 KB, 600x557 - viewed 1627 times.)
Nievesgirl

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

I asked Annelle cox about Bayou Irene and she told me it is a better cv than nightfire . She said it grows faster and is more vigorous than night fire ,upright and it blooms good in cooler weather. I do not know how long the blooms last I just asked her about that.

My nightfire is finally coming around , I think the lack fertilizer for the first month I had it did not help it at all. I been giving it the special blend and supernova and now buds are forming , I have lots of new growth at the top too.

~Kerry~
Nievesgirl

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 09:00:50 AM »

look how lush the bush is with no blooms lol I have some new buds forming I think the supernova is working on this cv.

~Kerry~
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

Had any flowers on it yet? Nice bush!

Charlie
Nievesgirl

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »

Had any flowers on it yet? Nice bush!

Charlie

I had one bloom on it so far and that was it. I moved it to the sunniest spot on my balcony like Chris suggested i think it is doing a lot better there.

~Kerry~
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »

Hey Charlie,

You show two pics of Nightfire seedlings in this thread both crossed to Icestorm.  Are either of these My Blue Heaven?  Just kinda curious Smiley
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »

Chris, the first one shown is My Blue Heaven. The second one I'd forgotten about altogether which probably means it did not root. The original should bloom again this summer and it looks like it's worth a second try. My Blue Heaven is a 1 day bloom in hot weather but I've seen it last longer in spring and fall. It grows into a very pretty bush, too.

Charlie
helixturnhelix
Seattle, WA

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for humoring me!  MBH has a color that is hard to beat.  You have been using ice storm in crosses lately.  Have any other pictures of it?
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: