Avid Mixing Instructions

<< < (2/4) > >>

davidwood:
Quote from: Darkhorse on January 29, 2013, 12:47:06 PM

Charlie, that's one reason I switched to Avid.  Thrips here aren't really responding to anything I've thrown at them.  Spinosad does nothing, Bayer something-or-other with B-cyflurthin only helps a little, as does orthene.  I believe they're resistance is due to all of the agriculture in the San Joaquin valley.

Jordan are you sure its Thrips, the reason I ask is I have had a similar problem with 3 of my cv's, Electric Orange and Transcendent being by far the worst, they had loads of Spinosad and it was a waste of time, it got to the point where I nearly got rid of them as I was losing about 99% of the buds. So I did a bit of reading, on here from Charlie and on the Internet, Gall Midge and another midge [I think Asian Midge] pretty much act the same way as Thrips [I have never seen the Thrips by the way] the buds develop and fall off. Anyway  to get rid of this midge I read that you need a systemic with  imidacloprid in it, so I tried Bayer 3-1 which does have this stuff about 3 weeks ago and low and behold I am now getting about 40% of my EO buds fully develop, its the same with Cream De Cacao 40 to 50%, not working yet with Transcendent at all but if its systemic I suppose it needs a certain amount of time, well I am hoping so and thats the reason, it will be nice to finally sort it out.

farmer d:
Jordan I feel your pain with the thrips.  Everything I tried this past spring had no effect so I just had to let them run thru their lifecycle which took quite a while - some where around 3 months to die out.

I tried several products including Bayer 3-1 but nothing worked.  I might try Avid this year but I really hate spraying any insecticides.  The good news last year was that with the much improved soil replants I hardly used any Kontos as I saw very few spider mites.  Outdoors is a big advantage when dealing with spider mites it seems, not so with thrips...

Farmer D

Charlie:
The other product that works pretty well against thrips is acephate, sold in the US for a long time as Orthene. If you can still find it, spray it over the buds and tops of the plants but avoid spraying the entire plant since it will kill many beneficial insects unnecessarily.

Avid is great for thrips but there is a big difference in how it is used for thrips versus spider mites. Mites usually only require once per month treatments with Avid (unless you have a bad outbreak in which case once per week for 2-3 weeks) but the only way to break the life cycle of thrips is to spray at least once per week (or once per 5 days) until they are gone - usually 3 or 4 treatments. Avid won't work on thrips if used only once per month.

Spinosad is a great thrip killer but they become immune to it after several treatments. Rotate it with Orthene for best results, or with Avid if you can afford it.

Charlie

Darkhorse:
Thank you for mentioning the frequency needed with the Avid too, Charlie.  I've been spraying several times a week for mites but now feel better about cutting back. 

One product that I think I had mentioned a few years ago on the forum is Ortho Rosepride Insect, Disease, and Mite Control.  It's an acephate aerosol and smells horrid, (I use a respirator when I spray it), but it does seem to help with thrips.  It's a little impractical to use all the time for a lot of plants.  It gets expensive quickly.  I had been getting it from Amazon, though it looks like they're almost sold out now.  This website has it:

http://www.starnursery.com/chemicals/insecticides/ortho-rosepride-rose-and-flower-spray.html

Why is acephate so hard to find?

Charlie:
Quote from: Darkhorse on February 02, 2013, 12:29:26 PM

Why is acephate so hard to find?

Jordan, acephate (Orthene) is one of the old standard "kills everything" pesticides in the organophosphate class along with Diazinon, Malathion, and several others. In 2001, after conducting a major review, the US government banned use of these in residences except for acephate. Apparently acephate was not found to pose the same degree of risk as the other organophosphates. You can google it as Acephate 97UP which is sold as a water soluble power - 3/4 of a pound for $15 - very cheap by pesticide standards. It has some sulfur oxides in it which is why it stinks. If you try it be sure to read the label for amount to use as it is 97 percent active ingredient - thrips use 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Charlie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page