Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kansas over winter project 12.1  (Read 8054 times)
EdW

« on: October 05, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

Greetngs all. I thought this thread might be relevant for those that live in less than tropical zones to get a first hand chronological sequence of sustaining tropical hibiscus cultivars. The objective of the thread (if Charles and Cindy ok), is to give up to date details of learned issues associated with wintering tropical hibiscus on a limited budget. Currently I have wintered plants before, but my collection has nearly grown beyond my control. I openly welcome input and insight; and collectively I want to spread this information. Thank you for your time and below is the first install.

Wife and I have been monitoring a snap freeze tomorrow night. Temps will dip to 40 degrees tonight and a frost tomorrow night. We were not totally ready for the temps and are scrambling to get the area ready. I knew the cold was coming, so I gave the plants a healthy watering 48 hrs before.
We purchased 2 shop lights and a box of specific bulbs; plus a bit of mylar (mom grows orchids).  On closer inspection of the plants, I am finding small issues. I have 20 plants to winter.
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »

Hi Ed,

Very interesting topic. In fact, the next newsletter is going to delve into this as well.

I'm not clear on where you are overwintering your plants. I assume it is indoors since you are using grow lights. What is the space like otherwise - temperature night and day, amount of light from windows, anything else that relates to how they might do?

Charlie
EdW

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »

Charlie and others,
I know the previous post was a bit vague, but I plan to go into greater detail about design, lighting, temperature, humidity, etc. We have been scrambling since the freeze notice to get all the plants inside. My plan is to post detailed results, images, and experiences concerning. As I am in a colder zone, my objective is not to get winter blooms, but to sustain the plants in 'dormancy' until next spring.
Ed
EdW

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »

Well, our green family is now living inside and doing better than expected.  We have set up two growing areas upstairs. One is 4X8 foot for our medium sized plants. These plants are approximately 2-3 feet in height and the area can hold 11-12 plants in 8-12 inch pots. Our second area is larger at around 12X4 foot and has our larger plants of heights to 4 to 5 foot. The entire area is walled with mylar attached to tri-fold poster board. The average temperature ranges from 70 to 76 degrees. Each area is lit by 2 twin bulb florescent shop lights. Each of these contain T12 40 watt 5000K 'Natural Daylight' bulbs from Sylvania. The area does receive a bit of morning sun (maybe 1-2 hours) that is reflected nicely about the areas from the mylar. This light comes from an east facing sliding glass door. We have reduced the watering and fertilizing significantly and added a small osculating desk fan set on low. Leaf drop is nearly nonexistent, and the plants are happily blooming. This surprises me, as our set up last year did not have these results. I have added our grocery list of items with costs, and an image file with the rough diagram. More information to come along with pictures.
Ed

Roll of Mylar 4X100' = $35
4 twin bulb shop lights plus hooks and chains = ($20 x 4) = $80
Box of 10 Sylvania 5000K 40 watt bulbs = $35
Tri-fold poster boards = ~ $20
Fan = $15

Total Cost = $185

* layout.jpg (21.26 KB, 532x501 - viewed 825 times.)
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:49:11 AM »

This seems to me to be a sensible and creative set up for keeping your hibiscus healthy during winter. Low cost and yet should be very effective. Thanks for sharing the info and hopefully you will have good results all through the winter including some blooms!

Charlie
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: