Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:35:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forbid miticide from Bayer  (Read 8115 times)
Paul

« on: June 22, 2012, 04:53:41 AM »

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the newest miticide from Bayer called Forbid? They claim it has translaminar activity, meaning you only have to spray it on the top sides of the leaves and it will kill the mites on the undersides of the leaves too! They also claim it works on all stages of the mite lifecycle, including eggs. (Too good to be true?)

I was wondering if anyone has tried this product yet with success? It's rather expensive! I have been having a heck of a time with red spider mites, and I would like a longer lasting solution than obtained by washing/bathing my hibiscus. Or should I go with Kontos (slightly less expensive). I had a bad experience with the Bayer 3 in 1 ( my Delta Dawn dropped all of its green leaves and died) and Im afraid to try it again in case it was in fact the 3 in 1 that killed it.

Thanks for any info!
Paul
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:29:09 AM »

Forbid is Bayers version of a product called Judo that was released by OHP a couple of years ago. Both have the same active ingredient - spiromesifen. I tried Judo when it came out but stopped because if you get the dose too high it messes up hibiscus leaves. Each variety reacts a little differently so for me with 500 actively growing varieties it was too much risk. It did work very well against whiteflies and fairly well against mites.

If you want to spray a commercial type miticide my recommendation would be Avid, or even better one of the generic versions that are now available after the Avid patent ran out. It is a lot cheaper per ounce than Forbid, Judo, or Kontos, is translaminar also, and kills all types of mites. It has the added advantage of being a very good thrips killer so you get the 2 for 1 result.

With any of these you should wear gloves and a respirator just to be as safe as possible. Also remember to stand upwind when spraying anything so it does not blow back on you. These newer pesticides are not the general poisons that old style pesticides were, but it is still smart to prevent exposure and definitely don't breath in the spray while applying it. If in doubt, take a shower afterwards. The most dangerous time of all is when mixing the undiluted concentrate which is hundreds or thousands of times more potent than the diluted spray. Do wear protective gloves when mixing and do not spill it on yourself.

Kontos is still a great choice for people growing with pots in saucers so that all runoff is caught and reabsorbed into the plant. To be effective for hibiscus it needs to be watered into the plant soil (not sprayed) about once per week.

I doubt that the Bayer 3-in-1 killed your plant that time, but it probably did not get rid of the mites either which eventually caused the plant to go downhill and then die.

Charlie
Paul

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »

Thanks for the info Charlie!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: