Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:40:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saffron has different leaves  (Read 9329 times)
Gina

« on: June 17, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I have a Saffron that has a stem that is growing leaves that look different from my Saffron's leaves. I am posting pictures to show the different color, texture and shape of leaves. I'm assuming I won't know what this is until it blooms. My question, is how much should I prune this to get it to bloom? Since this is my first time posting pixs I hope the pix's are viewable.

Thank you so much for your help,

Gina

* The other hibscus.jpg (166.08 KB, 480x640 - viewed 710 times.)

* The other's leaves.jpg (115.86 KB, 640x480 - viewed 642 times.)
Mike

Cabot Arkansas

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:37:48 PM »

Hi Gina
The plant that you have is probably grafted & the different leaves are coming from the root stock . They will out grow the saffron above the graft if you don't remove them , Cut them off all the way down from where they started growing out from . You can't just trim them back because they will just bud back and get thicker you have to remove them completely. And if the cut is big you can put some candle wax on the cut to protect it, I usually just melt some candle wax dip my finger in it and rub it on the stem where I just made the cut . That seals it & protect's it from infection .
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »

Gina, that looks like a pretty big Saffron plant. Have you had it long? Did you get it from HVH? I can't recall ever grafting a Saffron but may have done so many years ago - say prior to 2005.

In any case, if it is a grafted plant, people usually cut off any "suckers" that grow from the root stock. Flowers from standard root stock plants are small but sort of interesting. The standard root stocks used are Pride of Hankins and Albo lacinatus. You can view photos of them in the Hibiscus Gallery pages of the HVH web site.

If you really want to see the "different" stem bloom then do not prune it at all. Just wait and sooner or later it will bloom. Eventually the root stock will compete with the main plant so it is not usually a good idea to let root stock sucker branches grow. As Mike said, cutting it all the way back to where it joins the main stem is the best strategy in this case.

The other possibilities are that there was a second cutting of another variety planted in the same pot with the Saffron and it is just now getting enough strength to grow and reveal itself to you. Or, this stem is just growing differently due to environmental factors and will bloom with normal Saffron flowers and most likely any leaf differences will disappear over time.

This is a bit of a mystery since we don't graft Saffron normally.

Charlie
davidwood
David In Nha Trang Vietnam

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »

Gina, that looks like a pretty big Saffron plant. Have you had it long? Did you get it from HVH? I can't recall ever grafting a Saffron but may have done so many years ago - say prior to 2005.

In any case, if it is a grafted plant, people usually cut off any "suckers" that grow from the root stock. Flowers from standard root stock plants are small but sort of interesting. The standard root stocks used are Pride of Hankins and Albo lacinatus. You can view photos of them in the Hibiscus Gallery pages of the HVH web site.

If you really want to see the "different" stem bloom then do not prune it at all. Just wait and sooner or later it will bloom. Eventually the root stock will compete with the main plant so it is not usually a good idea to let root stock sucker branches grow. As Mike said, cutting it all the way back to where it joins the main stem is the best strategy in this case.

The other possibilities are that there was a second cutting of another variety planted in the same pot with the Saffron and it is just now getting enough strength to grow and reveal itself to you. Or, this stem is just growing differently due to environmental factors and will bloom with normal Saffron flowers and most likely any leaf differences will disappear over time.

This is a bit of a mystery since we don't graft Saffron normally.

Charlie
I was reading all this with very little interest until I came to the last line about never grafting Safron, haha now Gina you are just going to have to leave it to see what comes, could be something wow!!!.

David.
Gina

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies.
Mike- I had wondered if it was grafted, but judging from Charlie's response, it probably was not. I had never thought about using wax for a sealer, but I have plenty of that around! Thanks for the tip.

Charlie- I did buy Saffron from you guys and I just found a receipt that shows its from 2009. I'm thinking about just letting it grow and see what turns up. Depending on what it is I will decide whether to cut it or not.

David- It would be cool if it was something wow! I just hope it flowers soon.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: