Hidden Valley Hibiscus Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:50:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2011 HVH Online Store is Open!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Greenhouse  (Read 12125 times)
Jim

« on: January 17, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »

I am at the stage where I need to probably setup a greenhouse.

My reasoning for doing so, is to keep things is order and to keep out rain. Cold is not an issue. I know it can get really toasty in there, 100-130, even with good circulation, so I am a bit reluctant to do anything.

Basically, I am just using tables and things are working fine. I just bring in when it's too cold and when we get lots of rain. At the moment only about 35 plants or so.

Might any one have any ideas?

I did get a lot of good tips on Charlie's great article's he has done on the subject.

Thank you,  Jim Harvey
davidwood
David In Nha Trang Vietnam

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »

Certainly your Hibs wont be worried about the rain, and as you say the heat is not a problem but may become a problem at 130f, so what I think you need Jim is a little garden shed not a greenhouse.
You could keep all your stuff in there for tidiness and security and have a little table to work from for all the jobs you need to do, but leave the Hibs outside.

David.
Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »

Jim, that's an interesting situation. I know that most commercial hibiscus growers in Florida have found the summer sun a bit too intense to grow the most attractive hibiscus and so have erected shade cloth to grow them under. This causes the plants to have a more lush look - larger and darker green leaves - and there is less bud drop when you give them a little shade.

Shade cloth wouldn't do much for the rain so an alternative is to erect a greenhouse that has clear greenhouse poly for the roof. You can then roll on some shade paint in spring, using a brand that is made to be washed off when winter arrives. The ideal Florida greenhouse would be one with roll down side walls all around that give maximum air flow during the hot months. Or you could use a system for attaching the side wall plastic that is made up of clips so that you can remove and store the side wall plastic during the summer and thus have no walls until they are re-attached for winter.

There is no one simple solution but I do believe your hibiscus will look and perform their best if you can work out some way to protect them in both summer and winter from the extremes of weather.

Let us know if you try something!

Charlie
Jim

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:15:36 PM »

Thank you both for your comments.

Charlie, as always you gave me much food for thought.

I found some panels from the Greenhouse Mega Store that were $$$, but very nice I thought, Dynaglass 85% Solar Soft panels. They claimed to have a 85% light transmission and 100% diffusion which sounded good. They said this softer light still had a high PAR value and it was suppose to reduce leaf temp and plant burning.

I liked your shade paint and or shade cloth idea but figured I would bite the bullet and use these panels instead because the driving rain and hail have caused me great problems in the past.

So, I will attach these panels to my existing structure and see how it goes.

Thank you, guys!
Jim

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:24:20 AM »

Hi Cindy

Since you asked me too, I posted a few photos of my new greenhouse. I still need to finish the drip system and when I get my new load of plants from you guys I will install the other side of the bench.

I am guessing this GR is something that is not done that often where I am protecting from the harsh summer elements; mostly a stiff wind and strong rain showers. It is of coarse not used for cold protection at all.

The panels were something I got from Greenhouse Mega Store and boy do I love them. They are called Solar 85',s which means they let only 85% of the light in but the big thing is that, all of the light is defused. I can't tell you what this has done to my plants reguarding blooming and lower temps. We right now are at 86 degrees outside and inside the GR it is 79. I am sure when it is 95 outside and inside the GR will be 85ish. That will be great.

Do you guys use a defused panel like this at all?

Well anyway, I hope you think it is OK and that I didn't make to many mistakes. I of coarse didn't panel the entire house becasue I wanted very good ventilation.

Yes, that is SuperNova in the spray bottle!!!! Smiley

Thanks,...Jim

Charlie
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

Hi Jim,

The greenhouse looks really great and should suit your purpose quite well.

I accomplish something similar to the panels using polypropylene plastic sprayed with a special paint that creates shade under the plastic. I'd love to use the more durable panels but the cost of installing them on 45,000 sq ft of greenhouse is prohibitive. Almost all commercial plant growers throughout the southern US use some sort of shade setup in summer because it makes a prettier plant with less stress.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours full of hibiscus asap.

Charlie
farmer d
Farmer D

Hollywood, CA

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »

Jim that is a great set up you've created there.  It looks like it will really suit the needs you have for your climate there.  I like how it is really open yet gives your hibiscus the protection they need.  Very cool innovation!

Have you noticed any difference since using the Supernova?

Farmer D
Jim

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:38:39 AM »

Thanks, Charles and Farmer D

Mr. D I have been using SuperNove everyday the past four months. Never missing a day. Huge difference for me,....especially since I have 25 or so small plants. Even in the winter I could see growth, that I would never would have gotten with out it.

I have enjoyed reading your posts in the past and learned much from them.

Thank you, Jim.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: